WhatsApp Desktop video calls will be available in 2021
The platform announces the imminent availability of calls and video calls from WhatsApp Desktop and WhatsApp Web, news that may unbalance the current race to lead global online communication. On the other hand, we have also known the devices in which WhatsApp will stop working as of January 1.
Years ago, WhatsApp managed to become the most popular direct messaging platform in the world, after exceeding 2 billion active users. However, the special circumstances that we are experiencing this year have favored the growth of other communication applications, such as Zoom, Skype or Meet, thanks to their video call service. WhatsApp also had this functionality, but only from the mobile version, which was a significant competitive disadvantage.
The experience during this year of the necessary social distance (at university, at work, at school ...) shows that it is much more comfortable to carry out video conferences from a PC than from a smartphone. It seemed that WhatsApp was lagging behind in this competition, but the latest news confirms that it is back on track. According to the information that has been leaked to date, these are some characteristics of the new calls and video calls from WhatsApp Desktop App and WhatsApp Web PC:
- It will be necessary to have the mobile phone connected to the application.
- It has yet to be confirmed how many people will be able to participate simultaneously.
- When we receive a call, a small window will open to answer or hang up, just like on the phone screen, with a green button and a red button.
At this moment it is only available in the beta version, but it is expected that very soon we can enjoy it for all users. Undoubtedly, this step forward will consolidate WhatsApp as the undisputed leader in online communication, a forecast that is reinforced by the number of new initiatives that are committed to its leadership. For example, Messagenes Marketing Stickers, which combine QR codes with NFC technology, are a fantastic tool to professionally manage our communications on WhatsApp.
In addition to the launch of video calls from WhatsApp Desktop and WhatsApp Web, we have also learned about the smartphone models in which WhatsApp will stop working as of January 1, 2021. They are the following:
- Apple: iPhone 4 and earlier, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C, iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. Also, WhatsApp will not work with operating systems prior to iOS 9 either.
- Android: the minimum OS version for the application to continue working will be Android 4.0.3.